shanghai + nanjing + beijing + manila

Sunday, August 13, 2006

On Discrimination



If I stated that I've faced a number of discriminatory events here in Shanghai, people wouldn't believe me -- until they experience it first-hand.

While Shanghai might be a fantastic place to be, I've been discriminated against, especially in employment. The local Chinese seem to follow a certain heirarchy ... that is, Whites > other East Asians (Japanese, HKnese, Taiwanese, Koreans) > other Asians (Filipinos, Malaysians, Singaporeans, etc) > local Chinese > Blacks. For whites, they don't even distinguish if you're European, American, etc. As long as you have a non-Asian face and you're not Black, then you're considered a "white." It's crazy -- imagine a French guy with a strong French accent teaching English to local Chinese, just because he's white.

From reading the forums over at ShanghaiExpat, "white" people are being paid 5 to 6 times compared to other foreigners but are Asians. Locals are being paid dirt cheap as well. In my previous job at an interior design firm, I had an assistant who was being paid RMB 700/mo. I guess this is what "oh, it's so cheap in China" means!

Moreover, I know of certain companies who would have this kind of a scenario ... there's an open position in the company and there were two people competing for the position. One is a Malaysian who had a masters in architecture, a very impressive portfolio and extensive quality work experience. The other, a Scottish dude who has no university degree, a crappy portfolio and no work experience. Guess who got the job? And, guess how much this dude was being paid.

On another note, I responded to an ad of a language learning center for teaching English. English, being one of the official languages in the Philippines, is considered one of my native languages. Fudge, even this blog is in English! So, I called this so-called educational institution trying to explore possibilities (this was in April). They were so excited upon hearing me on the phone. They said, and I quote, "come come we need Engrish teachers!" I then go to the center and the moment I step into the door, they tell me, "we're sorry, we can't have you because you're not white." An example of this ad is as follows ...



Take note, they want a picture and that they want people only from those countries. There are so many others like it.

On another note, at several interviews, I've been told that I can only have this much salary because of my age. I mean, WTF? As far as I can recall, compensation must be comparable to the individual's education, experience and skills. Not age.

I wonder if the United Nations can do something about this basic human right.

As my tukayo would state ...

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home